Pretty much a yummy (and relatively healthy) comfort food for a chilly day or festive meal for Pi Day! We loved this one.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 uncooked pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup wheat flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook and dice chicken.
- Spray a pie dish and then line with one pie crust. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add in carrots, onion and basil and cook for 8 minutes, until tender.
- Pour in broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water and whisk together. Return pototo mixture to boil and then add in flour mixture. Cook 1 minute until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, peas and s/p. Cook until thickens.
- Pour into pie dish or ramekins.
- Place top crust over the chicken mixture and seal the ends. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Gently brush crust with milk.
- Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. *For ramekins, bake slightly less.
Our favorite pie crust here.
Original recipe adapted from myrecipes.com