My sister Sarah introduced us to these delicious Bran Muffins over Conference weekend and they were an instant hit! I altered her recipe by cutting the sugar in half and substituting half wheat flour to make it more healthy and quite honestly, I like the flavor better anyway. I made a double batch with plans to freeze them, but all of us have been snacking on them so much that there are only a few left. These are definitely on our favorite list!
- 3 cups unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups almond milk + 2 Tbsp vinegar)
- Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
- In seperate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together.
- Combine the moist bran with the beaten eggs, 2 more cups of bran, buttermilk, sugar/butter mixture, and flour, soda, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Place batter in the fridge from 2-4 weeks to bake later or bake immediately.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.